How to Lighten Dark Underarms
If you never dance wildly at parties, you hesitate to wave at your friends and wouldn’t be caught dead in strapless clothing then you probably have dark underarms.
Dark underarms can stem from any of these things:
- Having dark skin can make you more prone to discoloration. If you have dark skin be sure to gently handle your underarms, the skin there is very delicate.
- Certain medications can cause your underarms to darken. If you are currently on any medications, ask your doctor if any of their side effects include darkening of the skin.
- The personal care products you are using can also cause dark underarms. Certain soaps and deodorants contain harsh ingredients that can cause the skin to darken.
- If you like to sit in the sun with your hands behind your head, your underarms are susceptible to getting tanned. Your underarm skin doesn’t get exposed to the sun often so it can be very sensitive to sunlight, and of course, no one puts sunscreen there. Learn to protect yourself from the sun.
- Some medical issues can cause the underarms to darken. Diabetes is a known cause for dark underarms so be sure you don’t have a serious medical condition.
- Shaving is a huge contributor to dark underarms. Shaving improperly or with a dirty razor can cause the skin to darken. While many people believe that shaving against the grain delivers the best results, you should be shaving with your growth pattern. Also, when your hair begins to grow back you may see a dark patch begin to form, this is just hair about to break through the skin.
Having dark underarms can be embarrassing, why can’t you have smooth, even pits like a celebrity? Relax, believe it or not, celebrity makeup artists sometimes place makeup underneath the arms to camouflage the look of dark underarms. I am not recommending you take the time out to put makeup on your armpits daily, but it could be used for a special occasion. There are tons of other things you can do to help lighten your underarms for good and you should know your options.
Lightening dark underarms can be treated without stepping outside your home. Go into your kitchen and see if you have any of these ingredients:
Potatoes are great for getting rid of dark underarms because they contain an enzyme called catecholase that helps lighten the skin. Enzymes are natural exfoliants that help you increase cell turnover. You can use a potato for a treatment by rubbing its juice onto your skin and letting it sit for ten minutes. Using potatoes can lighten your underarms in as little as three months.
- Orange Peels contain a crazy amount of citric acid. Citric acid, like all other alpha hydroxy acids, helps to exfoliate the skin. The best way to use orange peels to lighten dark underarms is to let them dry and grind them. Once you have created a powder using the peels, you may mix it with ingredients like milk or honey to create a substance that will cling to your skin. A treatment like this one can be done up to three times per week.
- Apple Cider Vinegar great to lighten your underarms because it contains glycolic acid. Glycolic is a very common ingredient to see in the skin lightening products your buy from the store. The cool thing about apple cider vinegar is that it has a higher amount of glycol than grapes, sugar cane, and pineapple (which can also help to lighten dark underarms). To get rid of dark underarms using apple cider vinegar simply dab it into your skin twice per day.
If you want to buy a product to lighten dark underarms be sure it has one or more of these ingredients:
- Salicylic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid that is often used to cure acne. This ingredient helps kill bacteria and exfoliate the skin. Your underarms will love salicylic acid because since it helps kill bacteria it may stop the source of your problem. When sweat and bacteria mix underneath the arm, they can not only create a foul odor but dark underarms.
- Glycolic acid is also an AHA. Glycolic acid is often found in anti-ageing products because of its exfoliating properties. Glycolic has the power to increase the rate in which your skin cells shed and win the battle against dark underarms.
- Kojic acid is created from rice and is often used to lighten age spots.
If you don’t want underarm darkness to build don’t do these things:
- Shave- Shaving can be too rough for your underarm area. If you want your pits to be hair free try waxing instead. Waxing also helps exfoliate skin so it could also lighten your underarms.
- Use hair removal cream- Hair removal creams may work but the harsh chemicals can leave your underarms irritated.
- Wear deodorant- It may sound impossible but there are natural ways to mask underarm funk. Deodorant contains high amounts of aluminum, alcohol and synthetic ingredients that could help advance dark underarms.
- Wear tight clothes- Another cause for dark underarms is friction. If you want to get rid of dark underarms naturally don’t wear clothes that ruin your underarm area. Also, choose breathable fabrics like cotton to wear on a daily basis.
- Become overweight- When you are carrying around a few extra pounds, you skin tends to rub together in some places. The underarms are a very common place for people to hold excess fat, and if your arms begin to create friction, it could lead to darkness. Those who are overweight may perspire more and consistent sweating can also cause darkness.
- Neglect your hygiene-Never skip a shower or forget to exfoliate your underarms otherwise your hard work may be overruled.
If none of these methods are effective at lightening dark underarms you may want to visit a doctor,you could have developed a serious condition.