How to Give Yourself a Pedicure at Home
Have you ever done a pedicure at home? If not you should star now. Sure we’d all love to go to a luxurious spa every two weeks for an all-inclusive pedi, but this option may not always be available. If you have corns, blisters, discolored toenails, or athletes foot you may be too embarrassed to go to a professional which is why at home pedicures are so awesome. Not only can you avoid looks and whispers but you save a boat load of cash. The average pedicure now cost about $30.00; that’s almost $750 spent in just one year!
If you don’t get pedicures consistently, it may be because you are unaware of their benefits. Here’s why you should give yourself a pedicure at home today:
- You could avoid a nasty infection by performing a pedicure on yourself. When your skin lacks moisture,it can begin to crack and if bacteria slip through you’ve got an infection.
- Corns, calluses, and a buildup of dead skin cells can be prevented simply by getting a pedicure.
- Getting a consistent pedicure is one step toward a healthier lifestyle, it could be the start to a better you.
- If you choose to massage your feet during a pedicure, you could improve your joint health. As you get older, your joints can begin to stiffen, but massage can help lower your risk.
First you should gather all of your materials, you’ll need:
- Nail file
- Nail buffer
- Cuticle oil
- Cuticle remover
- Small brush
- Nail clippers
- A nail color of your choice
- Small bowl of warm water or spa pedicure bowl
- Nail Polish Remover
1. Remove old polish from yourtoenails
If you are consistent with pedicures, you may have old finish or decals on your toenails. Before starting a new pedicure use a bit of nail polish remover to get rid of it, otherwise your polish job could appear sloppy. Using a flat cotton pad will prevent cotton remnants from sticking to your nail. If these piecesare left on the toe, your nail polish will reveal its texture. For natural nails use a non-acetone formula, so you don’t dehydrate your nail. Acetone should only be used on artificial nails but can also be used to remove glitter nail polishes that are tough to get off.
2. Give your nails a great shape
If you want your toenails to look great, give them an appropriate shape. Ideally people like their toes square shaped or rounded. If you have longer toes a square shape can make them appear shorter, but if they are short opt for a round shape.Use a low grit file to shape your natural nails otherwise you may file them too low.
After you have filed them to the desiredshape, you should give them a quick buff. Nail buffers offer smoothness and shine. If you are going to paint your nails don’t shine your toes too much, or your polish will only last a few days.
3. Soak your feet in warm water for about 10 minutes
Foot soaks are one of the most relaxing things in the world, but why are they actually used? Well, soaking your feet during a pedicure will help soften thedryskin, so that is easier to remove. Depending on what you add to your foot soak, you could provide your feet with moisture or help your body release toxins.
4. Apply cuticle remover to soften cuticles
Never forget to groom the cuticles, they are the base of your nail. If your cuticles are dry or unhealthy, they can affect the condition of your nails. Some prefer to completely remove the cuticle by using a cuticle remover and clipper. If you are using a cuticle remover pay close attention to the directions, some may require you to apply the formula before you soak your feet. Once the cuticles are softened, take a cuticle nipper and clip away the excess skin!
If you aren’t interested in removing your cuticles just push them backso they don’t grow over your nail. If you think pushing the cuticles back is the best method try adding a few drops of essential oil to your foot soak to keep them moisturized. Vitamin e oil works great to hydrate the cuticles.
5. Massage the feet
This step is optional, but it is highly recommended. If you don’t already know the benefits of a foot massage listen carefully, they are quite amazing!
- If you are one who suffers from migraines, a foot massage may reduce your symptoms.
- Massage is knownfor its ability to improve blood circulation. When blood flow increases, you have the power to improve conditions like anxiety, blood pressure, and diabetes.
- Getting a foot massage has been proven to reduce stress.
- If you’ve experienced a foot or ankle injury, massage can help you recover. If this applies to you, try spending more time on this step.
If you have any health concerns, a great thing to research is foot reflexology. There are certain points on your foot that can improve your health if stimulated correctly!
6. Apply a base coat
Before you applycolor, use a basecoat to protect your nail. Some nail polishes have pigments that stain the nails and overtime this can become permanent. If your toenails have cracks or are discolored there are base coats that cater to improving your concern even under your nail polish. Apply a single layer of base coat over your nail, if it is too thick, it could compromise the longevity of your nail polish.
7. Choose a color
It’s time to choose the color your toes will rock for the next two weeks. If you are unsure of what to pick red, pink, and nude are most popular and go with almost any outfit. After your basecoat has dried,apply your first layer of polish by using long strokes, then apply a second layer. If you want to prevent chipping, seal the tips of your nails by stroking the brush over them horizontally. If you are gifted enough to create nail art, go ahead and apply it now. Apply your topcoat and let your toenails dry thoroughly.
Getting the pedicure at home can really be relaxing time, with music, essential oils or salt. But make sure to clean everything before and after the pedicure.